Sometimes as teachers, in front of a group, we face endless activities, especially when we start a school year and we have to make the school diagnosis at the beginning of the course.
We begin to recognise the different students who come to our classrooms, apply various evaluation instruments, plan, and carry out educational intervention.
We also organise the work according to the students’ characteristics and development, the abilities they bring with them from home or that they have achieved in kindergarten, and the learning they must achieve during their stay in preschool.
That is why it is vital that at the beginning of each school year, we prepare a diagnosis with some references that support us to achieve it in a clear and specific way. Although today’s times have changed and online classes “for now” are by electronic means, we must always consider how to develop a school diagnosis at the beginning of the course.
Main Objectives to prepare a school diagnosis at the beginning of the 2022-2023 academic year
- The purpose of preparing a school diagnosis at the beginning of the course
- Information can I identify in the diagnosis
- Helpful diagnostic information for
- I need to create a learning and work environment that favours learning
- References to prepare a group school diagnosis at the beginning of the course
- It may not be the most viable and complete, but it is the closest to getting to know the students and being able to apply the appropriate activities, strategies and modalities; in particular, it has served me a lot, and you can add or take away what you consider pertinent.
- Each school diagnosis must carry identification data of the school to which we belong; consider the family, sociocultural and school context.
- In the family context, it is crucial to consider the parents’ education, socioeconomic level and occupation.
prepare a school diagnosis at the beginning of the course
Take into account the linguistic diversity and and social and economic characteristics of the community where the school is located.
When the school is in remote places where there is no certainty of elements as essential as documents (for example, the CURP) that guarantee the minor’s identity, it is necessary to carry out an even more detailed diagnosis.
Support us from the school’s infrastructure, available resources, staff, and interactions with the educational community.
Consider the characteristics of the development and learning of the students, such as cognitive, motor development, socialisation, interaction between peers, and adults, respect for the rules of coexistence, following instructions, if they assume roles, if they have autonomy, considering their learning styles and pace.
Preparations to know how to prepare the diagnosis for the 2022-2023 school year:
- For the elaboration of the educational diagnosis, it is necessary to define what to base ourselves on to select the fields of academic training and areas of personal and social development to plan the learning situations.
- What expected learning should we consider according to the school grade and the focus of the current curriculum? Ask ourselves what our students know and what they do not know.
- If they get involved in activities that are requested, what strengths and areas of opportunity do the students in my charge have (some students require support, what condition are they likely to have), what fields and areas of development, expected learning are presented with lesser results, lower than expected.
- Skills, attitudes and values need to be addressed and strengthened so that students have the conditions to advance in the expected learning.
- Learning expectations do I have for my students in this school year. My commitment so that my students improve their results in the first quarter of the school year.
- When expressing your school diagnosis, it is necessary to consider the names of your students and where to place them in each field and area; according to the evaluation instruments used, consider the interview with parents, the student, and an instrument to know the styles and rhythms of learning.
- The parameters of the student’s development, the most appropriate evaluation instruments for each planning and in this way,knowing about each student’s situation.
- It means having the skills aimed at collecting information interpreting it, synthesising it through various techniques and instruments.
- The combination allows you as an educator to have planning support based on the learning expected from each field of academic training and areas of personal and social development.
- The procedure is a practical, timely and flexible tool that accounts for the pedagogical intention, consistent with what is intended to be taught and with what will be put into practice.
- It is essential to create a learning environment that promotes student confidence and participation and interaction with their peers through play.
- Planning is the basis of the work of a teacher who wants to encourage the interest and motivation of students to learn.